Location Get Directions
Prof. (Mrs.) Tehmi M.S. Ginwalla
Founder President of the Indian Society of Periodontology
She completed her DDS from Toronto, Canada in 1942. She also went on to completed her LDSRCDS England.
Many teachers all over the country did their postgraduation in Periodontics under her and became Professors and Deans in their respective colleges. She had many “1st” in her long and illustrious professional career.
- She was the 1st Professor and Head of theDepartment, Periodontics of Nair Hospital Dental College. She started the department in the year 1947.
- In the year 1963-64, she became the 1stlady Dean, Faculty of Dentistry, Bombay University.
- In 1973-74 she was elected the Dean of Nair HospitalDental College and also has the distinction of being the 1st LadyDean of Nair Hospital Dental College. For that matter, she was the 1stLady Dean of any Dental College in the country.
- She was the 1st Lady Head in 106 years of history of Bombay University and also to go abroad – Toronto for studying.
- She was the 1st from India to be invited to present a paper at the 5thInternational Conference on Oral Biology at Zurich, September 1971.
- She presented papers at National and International Conferences in India and abroad. She has many publications to her credit in various national and international journals.
- She was one of the 1st PG teachers for Periodonticsalong with Dr. G B Shankwalkarto start MDS Periodontics in India.
- She had been an examiner for BDS and MDS in many universities in India.
- Her husband, Dr. M S N Ginwalla was an internationally known Maxillofacial Surgeon.
Besides all these achievements, she was a very kind and humane person helping students to solve their problems
Dr. Govind B. Shankwalkar
Founder of ISP, B.D.S., L.D.S.C.P.S., M.S.(USA)
B.D.S. – Bachelor of DentalSurgery, University of Bombay,1954.
L.D.S.C.P.S.- Licentiate inDental Surgery, College of Physicians & Surgeons, Bombay, 1954.
M.S. – Master of Science with major in Periodontology, Indiana University, USA 1958.
Teaching& Academic Experience:
Total teaching experience of 25years
15 years as Professor (Govt.Dental College & Hospital, Bombay)
6 years as Dean (Govt. DentalCollege & Hospital, Bombay) (Took premature retirement as Dean in 1981)
1) As a postgraduate research guide has guided over 36 Thesis towards Master’s Degree in Periodontics of BombayUniversity.
2) Has carried out 2 research projects under Indian Council of Medical Research.
3) Chief research advisor – Rotaractclub research project on preventive dentistry (1972-75) at govt. dental college and hospital, Bombay.
PapersPublished & Read: Has published over 39 scientific papers in India and abroad.
Other notable achievements – Academic and others:
1) First post-graduate teacher in a country to start M.D.S. course in Periodontics at the University of Bombay.
2) Has been posting graduate examiner almost all universities in the country M.D.S. (Periodontics) is taught.
3) In 1970 – recipient of a W.H.O.travent grant award to visit various universities and research centers inU.S.A. and other countries.
4) Past president Dental Council ofIndia
5) Governors nominee on the senate Bombay university
6) Ex-Dean of faculty, University ofBombay.
7) Guest of honor at the 10thArab Dental congress held at Baghdad March 1980.
8) Chairman of scientific sessions at Indian Dental Conference on 9 occasions.
9) Past member and chairman, I.S.I, Associationwithdental materials committee.
10) Co-advisor, W.H.O. seminar on public health dentistry at Lucknow 1975
11) Chairman1st International Dental Conference held at Bombay – 1980.
12) Chairman1st workshop in PeriodoAssociation with professional bodies, editorship, etc.
1) Member international associationfor dental research.
2) Member, American academy ofPeriodontology.
3) Founder member & editor r, Indian academy of Dentistry.
4) Founder member & editor, Indian society of Periodontology.
5) Member, Indian Dental Association and C.C. member for over 10 years.
6) Member Ex-Committee I.D.A. ,Maharashtra and Bombay branch for over 15 years.
7) Editor , Bulletin Indian Societyof Periodontology
8) Ex- Editor Dental Dialogue
9) Ex-Editor , Bulletin-Govt. DentalCollege Alumni Association
10) Member Editorial committee Journal, Indian DentalAssociation
1) Consultant for Life, Govt. DentalCollege & Hospital, Bombay.
2) Technical Consultant andDirector, Colgate-Palmolive (India) Ltd., Bombay
3) Practicing Periodontist at Bombay
Achievements and Awards:
1) International College ofDentist’s Award for outstanding service to dental Science in India.
2) First World Zorastrian DentalCongress Award for the contribution to the cause of Dental Science and OralHealth in India.
3) Asian Pacific Dental FederationAppreciation Award for being Advisor to 13th A.P.D. Congress.